J. ZIKARAS HOUSE-MUSEUM
The house belonged to Juozas Zikaras (1881–1944) and his family. He was one of the first professional Lithuanian sculptors, a pedagogue whose name is closely related to the symbols of Lithuania’s Independence. The author’s sculptures “Freedom”, “Book Smuggler”, a monument to the “Unknown Soldier”, busts of prominent figures of our nation, the first Lithuanian coins are the manifestations of our national identity, which raise respect for history and love for Homeland.
J. Zikaras House-Museum was opened to the public on 18 November 2001 when celebrating the sculptor’s 120th birth anniversary. As far back as 1959, the sculptor’s daughter Alytė Zikaraitė set up a small, semi-secret museum in her father’s workshop on the ground floor of the house, and devoted it to the works of J. Zikaras. In her will, A. Zikaraitė transferred the house and her father’s creative legacy to the M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art. After her and her husband’s death, the museum installed in the house the display of J. Zikaras’ oeuvre.
Thanks to the major renovation and restoration in 2021, the house and the memorial exhibit have been completely renewed. At present, the museum includes the former living area, the artist’s workshop, and a homey garden next to the house.